Friday 24 September 2010

Driving

Edit: This is fiction. It's a piece called Driving.

*** Language Alert ***


...He says all the right things at exactly the right time, but he means nothing to you and you don't know why...


What egotistical shit is this? He hasn't got the right to pen this song. He hasn't the soul the comes from having it all pulled out from under his fuckin' legs. He doesn't know shit. He's sitting there with you on his lap, and what has he done to deserve you? Fuck all.

It takes me several minutes of this garbage before I become aware that sanity could be merely a station change away. My radio proceeds to some Indian rubbish, as Bollywood dancers fill the back seat. Before they get the chance to dirty my car, the radio's found some classical tune.

They all sound the same. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure each one is a masterpiece. They just feel like different emotions played out by string instruments of various sizes with a piano helping out. The only problem is, there ain't no words to work out what the issue is.
Pop music- I'm in love, I wanna fuck. Rock- I'm in love, I wanna kill someone. Emo shit- I'm in love, I want to cut myself. Classical- I'm in love, but I don't speak your language. But I do happen to have several different sizes of string instrument at my disposal. Would interpretive dance help? No? Then we'll stick with the violins.

Classical will do. When I'm having trouble navigating my way through my own head, listening to other people's problems – as produced and distributed by record companies – is the last thing I fucking need.

8 comments:

  1. It sounds like the narrator needs a hug :P

    Yeah, I think I understand what you're saying...its all the same a lot of times. Nothing seems that original anymore :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't saying anything. I was actually setting the scene, getting ready to crack a character's head open, so we could see where his actions come from further down the track.

    I was a little too late with that "Edit", though. I got several concerned texts from readers thinking it was a blog post :) rather than the intro to a story.

    Silly me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. actually one of my favorite songs there. everything you wanted by vertical horizons :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, that's the one thing me and the protagonist agree on. We both hate that damn song.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate that song too. It's so obnoxious. But I ♥ you!! I hope you and Kat are well. I have been so busy, and now I have a cold as a result of running myself into the ground, so I have not been so good at keeping up with everyone's blogs. I miss them, though. So much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once upon a time I liked that song.. and then it got majorly overplayed.. and it was like.. hmmm... there are better songs out there... but I like this post =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice... I didn't realise you were capable of such writing. I'm truly impressed! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, everyone! It'll be nice when I can stretch out and hit the blogosphere again :).

    <3

    ReplyDelete