Tuesday 1 June 2010

Finally, we have a good story to tell people

"I'm still working- Can I call you back?"
"No worries. When will you be finished?"
"Five minutes."
"See you soon!"
"Uh- OK!"

She screamed when she walked in the door. She didn't think she'd left the lights on, but was oblivious to the many hints I'd given away. I'd meant to say, "Speak to you soon!"

"So that's why the cat was outside!"

Dinner was freshly laid out, steaming on the warmed plates, set atop the brand new table cloth.

"Oh, wow. Wow!"
"It sounded like you've had a pretty rough day, so I bolted up here to try and make it a little better."

After much hugging and happy, deep breaths, I managed to seat her at the table. She talked about her day and why this dinner would give her the energy she'd need for the next few days.

"You're rather dressed up, aren't you?"


My suit and tie still hadn't given away my intention for the evening. I wanted to show her that I could organise something, without just throwing money at it. I wanted to show her that I could cook. Every time she comes to visit me in the Big Smoke, she always manages to hijack my kitchen and produce wonderful dishes for me and my house mates. I'd cooked a few dishes at my family home for her, and managed some spiced pork chops once, but I'd never really been able to prove myself. I chose the simple, but elegant, Salmon and Broccolini with Orange Sauce. There were rolls from The Good Loaf on the table, and a wine to match the meal. To follow this up were a selection of cheeses, fig and walnut paste, and grapes.


Most of all, I wanted to show her that I want to cook for her...

...for the rest of her life (maybe not every night, but my feminist tendencies say, AT LEAST every second night).

I went upstairs and returned with a small box that she didn't notice, until I held it up to her, on bended knee, as she sat at the table.

"Aun Teeng, for the last time, will you marry me?" I managed, with a smile.

I expected her to clasp the box and examine the sparkly contents, but she held me to her, then grabbed my face- "Yes." *Kiss* "Yes." *Kiss* "Yes."

*Kiss*

It was only at this point that she took the ring from the box. I held her hand as she put it on her finger.

It's been a comparatively quick turn-around, but it was always meant to be. After prayers for God's protection on our lives, and for Jesus to remain our focus, we ate the meal- frequently interrupted by my need to go around to her side of the table and hold her in an embrace.

Thank you, Lord God, for the wonderful life we will share! Thank you, Lord God, for bringing us together! Thank you, Lord God, that by the example of Jesus, our Saviour, your Son, we see how to live a life humbled before you, how to focus on serving others in order to build a community of love and we see how to best love each other.

It's been an interesting journey, full of difficulty and joy, but ultimately more rewarding that we could have hoped.

I hope that we can share our happiness and the blessings we have received with those of you who are in Australia, in the form of a wedding, as well as continued friendship. To those across the shores, feel free to drop me a line. We're always happy to make new friends and chat with old ones.

Much love,

Evan (& Kat)

or

TheSovietChairman (& teengkoh)


Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

Colossians 3:12-14


15 comments:

  1. It seems appropriate that I shall have the honour of congratulating you two on this part of cyberspace :).

    I am truly happy for you both and in spite of everything, I'm also glad that I got a role to play in making things right here :).

    You have my blessings (though they were never needed) and I pray that this union (even though you're not married yet!) will help you both serve God better and bring glory to His name :).

    Much love,
    Amy

    P.S. I expect an invite to this wedding! I'll sing for my dinner too :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations my dearest Evan!

    I don't know much of the story, but I recognize that smile on both your faces. It's universal and I'm glad you both have found happiness.

    Aw! :)

    I'll throw in my prayers for many blessings in the future.

    <3
    Lor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww! Congradulations, hun! I'm so happy for you :) You two make the cutest couple! Best of luck in the future; God bless.

    (And that is so awesome that you're willing to cook for her! I wish I could find a man who is not only caring and sweet, but also loves to cook :D )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Ames! Thanks, Lor! Thanks, Emmy! Your prayers are very much appreciated! I'm sorry that you and me didn't work out, Lor. I guess I'm just not made for this long distance thing :P.

    Yes, Emmy, I love to cook- but Kat hardly ever gives me a chance! It's been nice for the ;ast couple of days to be able to show her what I can do :).

    Yes, Ames, I'm glad you have that honour- because of you, we've come out stronger and more determined! You reminded me that a relationship founded on Christ is the strongest of all, so that's what we're doing! The friendship you and I share has overcome some extraordinary difficulties, but your example of love has reminded me to turn to Jesus' example in everything.

    Much love, y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Jax :). Technically, you were still the first to know :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!
    I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee it.. you two look awesome together!! Many xoxoxoxoxoxoxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. not to be rude, and don't take it personally but] i'd forgotten about your blog til i saw your comment after my comment on chester's blog post about mushy people [of whom i am the worst].
    but. it's not that you have a bad blog. i quite like it, actually. i might follow it. but.
    the point is not that.
    the point is CONGRATS this is so cute and i love love and people getting engaged. yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Evan!!!!!!!! Congratulations Kat!!!!!
    Sending you two love from the 'Big Smoke' and my best wishes to you both now and in the future!

    xxx
    Marita

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh congrats to you two!!! God bless your road ahead! I'm sure He will guide you as He had been throughout this rship! Tiff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Miss Cheng and Miss Kwok! Thank you for your blessings and wishes!

    And Suzy, I was offended, up until that first line... :). Thanks, it is very, very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations, Evan and Kat! That's so wonderful! And what were you saying about being ugly? My dear, you look like a young Robert Downey, Jr. That's a compliment, my friend. And Kat, I've never "met" you, in the context of the internet, but I'm so very, very happy for you and you seem just lovely. I know it's a bit early, but you two will have beautiful children, if you don't mind my saying so! Hahaha! Only the best wishes from me for the both of you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!! Very impressed!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Evan,

    It's Lusi here from "the bank". Huge congratulations to you and your partner!!! Wishing you happiness for many many many years to come! :)
    Meeting a customer like is making my job is so enjoyable.
    Even better...we are sharing the same faith :) Remember that every prayer that we make for our life is never wasted :) God is good and He makes all things perfect in His time :)

    Lusi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Lusi! I'm glad I went back to find you :). It was a lovely evening :).

    God is so good! It took time and there were hurdles, but we're so happy :)!

    Thanks for your wishes! See you soon, at the bank!

    ReplyDelete