Tuesday 10 May 2011

Write something, add bird


I'm sitting here, waiting for Bendigo to thaw. There's ice on the windows. I haven't experienced a winter like this in a while, and my body knows it. I've been hit for six by some kind of bug, leaving me sore everywhere. I actually miss the kids. Funny, huh? I'll be back soon, I hope.

I need to put word to post more often. I keep saying that. I figured the only way I could make it happen was if I actually did it.

As well as my lectures, I've also managed to catch up on some good anime watching. Revisiting Ouran, Ghost in the Shell, Samurai Champloo and Evangelion, while trying new things like Durarara!! and Summer Wars. I also managed to watch the live-action Time Traveller: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. That was a surprise. If the novel is the same as the 2010 movie, I don't think I'd want to read it. It didn't leave me as happy as the end credits music hinted I ought to be. It left me wondering if anything in the story actually mattered. It had all the makings of a Disney masterpiece, except if all the loose ends (which were clearly set up to come together to save the day) were left dangling, and some even cut off completely. It felt like they dangled the hope of reconciliation and salvation, but then decided that real life doesn't work that way. Real life can leave you isolated. Real life can leave you with an ache that comes from somewhere unknown. But you should still smile.

Why set up all the pieces so satisfactorily, just to have it dissolve into something entirely too reflective for Riisa Naka's bouncy demeanor?

I enjoyed her role immensely (she also plays the role of the lead from the anime movie, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, which has a decidedly different - and more satisfying - story) and liked the air of confidence she gave, which is something we don't often get to see in the right doses. Often a heroine will be super confident to the point of being bumbling, or will spend the whole movie making whimpering noises. Those funny Japanese writers!

Anyway, Riisa Naka did a great job.

I'm getting boring again. I can usually tell because I'm really interested in what I'm typing. It's a fairly decent indicator.

I'll get some more boring out of the way.

My wiring died! The circuit I ripped out of a PS3 controller (no-name brand, $6.95, including postage) is falling apart! My stick arrived, so once I install that in the stool, the majority of the work will be done. Hopefully me and Ad-man can fix my mess this coming weekend, while still finding time to explore Echuca. It will indeed be a most beautiful stick.


If you have a favourite foreign-language TV series or film, tell me about it! As a media-whore I get scared that I might be missing out on wonderful, but as yet un-translated IPs. Although I detest American remakes. Urgh!

Happy birthday! Merry Easter! All the rest!

The Lord is Risen! Alleluia!

3 comments:

  1. Now that's a post that covers all bases.

    Sadly it is not even winter yet, merely a very confused autumn. I believe it might be time to invest in fleece-lined gloves.

    I am beginning to suspect that you lied to me, and that the not-chicken is watching television after all. Specifically, watching anime ... with the addition of drugs of addiction, who could blame him? (referencing your spelling mistake)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can almost hear you singing to your shtick from here Evan :) In any case, yay, you blogged! my nagging worked! FOR ONCE! :D

    ReplyDelete