Thursday 7 May 2009

Think about it first, then think if it's really what you want to say

Come on now, now
Come on now, now
Enjoy the humour of the situation
Come on now, now
Come on now, now
Enjoy the humour of the situation

As I walked out, I thought about all I had left behind me
I felt a chill because I was still
Wearing the emperor's new clothes
My mind was racing with each chance that I had missed
While your next door neighbour soaked me with the hose
I've never felt so small, I've never been so dissed
As I shiver, dripping, while the chorus goes:

Come on now, now
Come on now, now

--The Humour of the Situation, Barenaked Ladies

It's painful when a joke takes us over. Sometimes a persona we create runs away and out of control. I thought I was talented because I could fashion a new psyche. My first thoughts were from the perspective of my creation before I returned to my own head. That makes me a good character actor, yes? Getting inside the head of the character?

Where's my head, then?

I thought I'd have the last laugh. I'd tell the joke people were afraid of. I can get away with it, right? It's me, after all.

It's not fun to wake up, shivering. The heater's on, but I'm recalling words I've said. It's time to own my sins.

Now I can smile. Now I can really laugh.

TheSovietChairman

No comments:

Post a Comment