Wednesday 4 November 2009

Is your bed made? Is you sweater on?

Last night, many important things transpired, not the least of which was my grandfather adding me on a certain social networking site. Is he ready for it? Let's hope so.

But of all the important declarations last night, and all the important decisions made, something strange stuck with me more than I thought it would.

I have a whole world of music to explore from this new stage in my life.

It sounds odd, but it's very exciting. My music tastes are extremely varied, but I've found a friend who can show me something new. It reminds me of Daniel Kitson's We Are Gathered Here. During the aforementioned show, Kitson talks at one stage about how profound it was when his best friend sat him down and proceeded to show him the kind of music he would from that day onward have a preference for. I have my own tastes, but expanding them is a mouth-watering prospect.

These days I like listening to music from Antony and the Johnsons, Fleet Foxes, The Shins, Ben Kweller, The Last Shadow Puppets, Belle and Sebastian, Old Man River, The Bees, Glasvegas, Vampire Weekend, Barenaked Ladies, Ben Harper, Tally Hall, Little Dragon, The Triffids, The Wombats, Yves Klein Blue, Augie March...

*pants*

...Stimmhorn, The Cat Empire, Colin Hay, Jack Johnson, Sun Ra, The Kinks, The Clientele, Jeff Buckley, The Small Faces, Yoko Kanno, José González...

The list goes on.

All of a sudden, I can feel a shift. I can feel new appreciations. Bring it on! Never mind the other life-changing decisions.

Studying with full force,

TheSovietChairman

P.S. I have to thank my sister, Kim, for most of my musical influences thus far. Great work, Kimikins!

No comments:

Post a Comment